Popular Games among Youths
The internet has become one of the main sources of entertainment and leisure for Singapore youths today. It is common for students to talk about computer games in the classrooms.
What used to be an activity commonly associated with those who are less physically inclined is now mainstream and a majority of students play some online or video games.
Gaming platforms can be broadly classified into three categories with some of the more popular models in Singapore listed below:
1. Personal Computers
- Sony PlayStation 4
- Microsoft Xbox One/360
- Nintendo Wii
3. Handhelds, Smartphones and Tablets
- Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP)
- Nintendo DS (NDS)
- iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones / devices
Some of the popular online games among Singapore youths include:
- Counter Strike Global Offensive
- Left for Dead 2
- Grand Theft Auto 5
- Final Fantasy
- Grand Theft Auto Series
- Defense of the Ancients 2 (DOTA 2)
- League of Legends
- World of Warcraft
- Facebook Games
- Mafia Wars
- Mobile Games (Clash Royale, Clash of Clans, Minecraft etc.)
Tips for parents
- Familiarise yourself with the games that youths are playing by reading game reviews.
- If you suspect the youth is gaming excessively, talk to him/her to find out more. Watch out for these warning signs:
- a.Losing interest in studies and even skipping school and CCAs to play games
- b.Thinking about computer games more and more
- c.Becoming more restless and irritable when trying to stop playing games
- d.Trying to play less but failed
Highlight to the school counsellor/parent to follow up more closely with the youth if you suspect he/she is spending too much time gaming and neglecting crucial areas of his/her life such as relationships and academia.